Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Church Name Survey Continued

In my last post I asked people to comment on which name they liked better for the new church Kyle and I are going to be a part of in La Crosse. I thought after I got a few responses that I should explain the names a bit and get a second opinion.

La Crosse is referred to as the "Coulee Region". That is where Coulee Rock comes from. The word coulee is widely used in the La Crosse area, so it would give the church name regional significance. The Rock part of the name comes from Jesus being the bedrock of the church (Matthew 16:18).

Stone Ridge refers to the stone ridges seen all over the area because of the bluffs, so it is also regionally significant. It also has some spiritual significance because the bible refers to Jesus being the capstone (Psalm 118:22).

Both names have both spiritual and regional significance. Our concern with Coulee Rock is that coulee is very widely used in the area so it might not stand out. our concern with Stone Ridge is that is sounds more like a housing development than a church. Personally I am not crazy about either name and would kind of like to start the process over, but I don't see that happening, so we need help picking between the two names.

If anyone has any opinions on the name now that you know our reasons for choosing them, please leave a comment. We have a meeting on Sunday and I believe we will be making a choice between names, so please respond by Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. I stick by Stone Ridge.

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am drawn to Stone Ridge. (I can see your concern for it sounding like a housing development though!)

    How awesome for you guys to be doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still like Stone Ridge. Both are great names!

    ReplyDelete