Saturday, October 24, 2009

When?

When will it get better? When Ella was a newborn and cried constantly, we were just waiting for her to get older so she would get over the colicky stage and our eardrums could heal. And it got better, for a little while. She started eating and sleeping better and we were feeling pretty good about having her in our lives. Then teething started and it got worse. Then she stopped teething and it got better. Then she started being really clingy and cried whenever I wasn't giving her my undivided attention. Then she got a little better about entertaining herself. Then teething started again. Then the teeth came through and she was fun again. Then she started throwing temper tantrums multiple times daily. Then she started acting out in stores and I would have to leave before I was done shopping. Then she just whined all the time. Then she started refusing just about every food I tried to give her. Then she cried the entire way home from Galesville (a little more than an hour away) when she could have been sleeping.

WHEN WILL IT GET BETTER!?!?!?

Earlier this week Ella and I were having a great time together and I was feeling so awesome about being her mom and getting to spend my days with her, but something always changes and it always starts feeling like more than I can take. Being a mother is definitely the biggest trial I have ever been put through and it is sucking the life out of me right now. I tried to prepare myself for motherhood, but I don't think I could have possibly prepared myself for how challenging Ella is. And the hardest thing is that it is rare for anyone else to experience Ella being this way because she is pretty well behaved when there are other people around and babies to play with. I honestly feel like no one can understand what I am going through. At this point I have basically given up all hope that Ella will ever be a better behaved child. I have a strong willed child who is going to fight me every single step of the way her entire life, so I better get used to it. I better get some sleep now, because tomorrow I have to get up and do it all over again. Oh joy.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Molly! Hang in there! I totally understand you! The never ending cycle of seemingly hard phases… I have been reminded the past couple of days that doing what you and I do, being a stay at home mom is one of the hardest jobs. It takes great patience, an overabundance of love, giving 200% of yourself, having to discipline when we don’t feel like it, constantly serving… the list goes on…. It is HARD work to be a stay at home mom. I don’t think many people realize how important our jobs are and how incredibly hard, yet incredible rewarding they are (even if we don’t always feel like we are seeing any reward or fruit for our labor yet). We are raising the next generation! You are doing an amazing job raising Ella from what Ive been reading on your blog.

    Here are a few promises you can hold onto:

    “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” –Phil 4:13

    “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” –Phil 4:6-9

    “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” -Phil 4:19

    “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men” –Col 3:23

    And Ill leave you with the reminder of the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Remember to be spending time with Jesus everyday to get filled up and refreshed.

    I hope your week is blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always hesitate before commenting because I know this is your place to vent but just wanted to share that I have had several conversations lately in which we all have had the same experiences. Either our children &/or grandchildren challenge parents while behaving for others. Is it because they're comfortable and secure at home? I don't know but I'm grateful that mine behaved for others and acted up for me instead of the reverse (I think). Love, Mom/Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Molly! I hear ya! Raising spirited, strong willed children is nothing less than exhausting. If only they'd just do what we wanted, right? :) I strongly recommend the book Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurchinka. I haven't even finished all of it, but it's great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete