Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good and Bad

Today Ella had her 18 month check up. The good news is that she is right on track, 50th percentile for weight and about 40th percentile for height. I am not so sure on her weight though because she was wearing clothes, shoes and a thick fleece jacket. Whatever, I am just glad to hear she is doing well. Lately she hasn't been eating very well, so I wasn't sure how her weight would be.

The bad news? She has the flu. She has a fever and a cough, then I described symptoms Kyle has had recently (fever, cough, chills, aches, fatigue, etc) and they decided to put Ella on Tamiflu and swabbed her nose to make sure she has the flu. The rapid test came back positive for Influenza A, and the nurse said that the test for H1N1 takes a few days but most times when the first one is positive then the second one is as well. So it looks like Kyle and Ella probably have H1N1. That kind of sucks, but it really doesn't seem that bad. Other than not eating well and being whiny (which is normal) Ella seems fine. She was her normal active self all day long, and Kyle doesn't feel good but he isn't bedridden or anything. I asked if Kyle should go into the clinic, and our doctor said that he will probably be fine since he is normally really healthy. They are more concerned about people who are children, elderly people, pregnant women and unhealthy people, so Kyle should be fine. Someone died from H1N1 here in Eau Claire, but she already had health problems.

Ella doesn't like her medicine, so I just mixed it in with her milk. She has to go back in 2 weeks to make sure the medicine worked and to get her vaccinations. I suppose she won't have to get a flu shot now, so that is good. One less shot is always good! I am glad we caught it early and the medicine will kick it out of her system before it gets bad. We will be seeing family this weekend, but Ella will have had enough of the medicine to not be contagious anymore. I asked our doctor to make sure because some of my cousins are still pretty young.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to here that Kyle & Ella may have H1N1. Yikes!! And you having to be quarentined with them. I hope and pray you don't get it too. I will be praying for all of you. Miss you all so much.
    Mom H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Good luck, and lots of prayers for health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did you ever find out the result of the longer test?

    ReplyDelete