Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ella's Eating Habits

It has been interesting entering the world of solids with Ella. Breastfeeding was pretty simple: she ate until she was full and cried when she was hungry again. But now that we are doing formula and solids, I am never really sure she is full. Does she start fussing because she is full or because she is sick of sitting in her high chair? And is she still hungry when she keeps accepting food from me, or is she just eating because it is available and tastes good? So confusing. Now the latest dilemma is when to stop feeding her pureed baby food and give her true solids in small pieces. She doesn't really like fruits and vegetables in solid form, but I think she is also sick of being spoon fed. But she is too young to spoon feed herself, so we are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have also found that she loves cheese, but not cheddar cheese because that makes her throw up. So I have to keep pretty mild cheese in the house for Ella. She also likes deli sliced turkey, but I gave her ham today and she threw up. I tried chicken last night and it didn't make her throw up but after a few bites she started to spit it out.

Basically the only foods I know she will eat every single time I offer it are green beans (pureed), oatmeal cereal, and yogurt. She is absolutely crazy about yogurt! We started giving it to her months before it was suggested for babies, but she has never had a bad reaction to it. Oh, and graham crackers, which she is eating right now. I am excited to get to the point where she just eats what we eat, but I am not sure when she will be ready for that? When do babies stop eating pureed foods? We had friends over for dinner on Monday and we were talking about preparing for pregnancy and reading up on caring for a newborn, but I am pretty clueless about toddlers. I think I need to do some research...

1 comment:

  1. You can start giving her cut up veggies and fruit. Just because she doesn't like it one day doesn't mean she won't like it the next day. Older infants can be a challenge when it comes to food. Just try giving her some peas for a couple of days and see how she does. Try all kinds of finger foods. A lot of babies like kix cereal and dried fruit. Addison is almost 10 months old and loves frozen veggies cut up small. I do make all her baby food, and I have just started making it more chunky for her to transition to more solid food. She has older siblings to steal food from. So she has had some foods earlier then the other kids.

    ReplyDelete